Thursday, August 28, 2014

Behind Writing Stats and Situations

I have been playing baseball for over 25 years, and I have experienced many great memories from the game. I would never forget the years playing with my Little League teammates. I still believe that my high school baseball team was probably the funniest team ever. The years at "the U" and going to the College World Series (twice) were awesome and rewarding. Calling and telling my mom that I made it to the major leagues was unimaginable. And even in playing independent baseball, I never had more fun being on a losing team than I did with the Newark Bears.
But through all the memories, good and bad, that I experienced from baseball, I came out a wiser man. Yes, I had some great coaches, but the game itself was my biggest teacher. It taught me humility, it gave me perspective, and it showed me how to handle success and adversity. I learned how to not allow my emotions to be too high or too low. It taught me how to interact with all types of people from many different backgrounds and how to handle the attitudes of the hundreds (if not thousands) of teammates that I have had.
As I compile all of my years of playing baseball and the many things that I learned, I realized that baseball offered more than just the cliché lessons of life - overcoming failure, striking out in life and teamwork. So, I decided that I would extract more life lessons from the game that everyone could learn from.
Why did I write Stats and Situations: The Game Plan to Success?
I wrote Stats because it is more than just a game. I tell people that if they show me a game of baseball, I will show them a lesson. And this is what I did with this book. I wanted to give people another way of looking at the game.
What is the premise behind the book?
Baseball is filled with many situations and statistical categories (hence the name). I decided that I would break down the real in-game scenarios and stats in a two-part book and show how they correlate to life, as well as, how we can use these lessons to better and be more successful in our lives.
Who is the book for?
You may think this book is just for the baseball fan but it is for you too. Yes, baseball fans will relate to this book, but Stats is enjoyable for baseball buffs as well as people not as familiar with the game. The half baseball/half life format in each chapter gives an in depth explanation of how the two complement each other.
Are there any personal anecdotes throughout the book?
Yes. Throughout the book, I introduce each chapter with personal stories of my experiences in the game and in life.
Why this book and this topic?
Sometimes baseball can get a bad rap for being too boring or slow, and I wanted to give people an opportunity to understand the game better and gain an appreciation for the game that has given me so many great memories.
Where can you purchase a copy?
You can purchase a copy at www.statsandsituations.com.
Brian D. Barton is a professional baseball player, author and speaker who teaches lessons of life through his experiences as an athlete. He also focuses on leadership, team building, team management for students and corporations. To book visit www.brianbartonaccess.com.

This weeks post is from guest blogger Brian D. Barton, who demonstrates a great way to expose your brand and your product in your own words. Brian does an excellent job of selling his book (Stats and Situations) without actually selling, but simply telling the reader about it.  First he acknowledges, why he is an expert in the sport of baseball (25 years playing baseball) and then he discusses the basis for the book (which is a synopsis of the life lessons he learned). All sports fans love to have a deeper insight into their favorite sport and  player.  Brian's book gives you a birds-eye-view of baseball and what he learned from the game.
The one thing Brian did not mention in this post that I garnered from the book is how much the novice baseball fan can learn from reading it.  I had a general idea of inter-workings of baseball, but Brian was able to creatively break it down even more. Stats and Situations goes one step further than most baseball books by showing us how baseball is similar to life experiences and it is through these analogies that he drives home the intricacies of baseball.  When I watch baseball games now, I recognize a lot of the things that Brian highlighted in his book.  After you read Stats and Situations you will have a clear understanding of baseball(if you didn't already) as well as how it relates to your life and your business.
We have to continue to find new ways to expose our brand - Kudos Brian!!
God Bless
A.Mayartis.J

No comments:

Post a Comment