Thursday, March 27, 2014

Turning off turns you on




“You go to your TV when you want to turn your brain off. You go to your computer when you want to turn your brain on.” A quote by Steve Jobs that sounds pretty far fetched, but it is actually quite accurate.  There was a time when I would have my computer by my bedside, so I could work until I was ready to go to sleep and if I woke up in the middle of the night then I would pick up the computer and finished where I left off.  In the morning when I woke up I would say a quick prayer and then turn on the computer even before broke my fast (had breakfast).  So, when my laptop died… I mourned, not only for my dear beloved MacBook, but also because, now I had to start working on my desktop which located in my office.  I thought what a nightmare … I can’t leave my office with my computer, I can’t meet a friend at a coffee shop. I was stuck and had no idea when I was going to be able to get a new laptop.

Initially, I had a pitty party and I was the honored guest, but that did not last long because, God gave me a couple of gentle nudges back to reality

My first wake up call … YOU ARE BLESSED!!! Your laptop died and you
were fortunate enough to have a back up computer, which you do not use, that allowed you to work without missing a beat.  An opportunity others cannot even imagine.

My second wake up call … FREEDOM!!!  There is a sort of freedom… a needed freedom not being attached to a computer all of the time.  At night I was able to read and either relax or expand my knowledge without considering what emails were arriving, what was being said on the social media sites or just doing non-stop research.  In the mornings I spent more time doing daily devotions. I worked out at the gym, something I rarely did before because I was always on the computer. When I returned from my exhilarating exercise, I would cook a great meal and then begin my day… at the computer (some things don’t change).    

Three months later when I purchased my new laptop I returned to my old ways (third wake up call – I had the money to purchase a new computer), but in one of my quiet moments, I sat at in a coffee shop watching people on their phones, Ipads and computers, not communicating with the people around them and I began to imagine a world free of cell phones, lap tops, computer games and televisions.  The only entertainment is a good book, a board game, a great conversation during a home cooked meal or an inspiring walk with a friend.  I wanted this life and decided a few months ago that I would started shutting down on Sundays.  I allowed myself limited or no cell phone usage, limited or no computer usage… just time for me and my loved ones.  Not only did I regain a piece of my sanity, but I found that this little change enhanced my creativity and productivity, because I was more focused.

I want you to imagine if you shut off your phone, computer, TV, tablet and any other devices for a day or even a few hours how it would impact your life, your work… YOUR BRAND?

I am giving you a PERSONAL BRAND CHALLENGE – Turn off technology for a day and see what great things are in store for you and your brand.

Be Blessed
A. Mayartis  J.

No comments:

Post a Comment